Saturday, January 9, 2010

Black, African American, or Negro?


According to 2000 census figures, I am one of 90 Blacks or African Americans who live in Long Valley’s 07853 zip code. I note this only to point out when I completed my census form in 2000, “Negro” wasn’t an option under race (not that I would have chosen it). It is in this context I find the controversy over the word “Negro” appearing on the 2010 census forms somewhat interesting; especially during a period when we have the first Black, African American, or now” Negro” president.


Can we assume the 2020 forms will expand the definition of folks who look me to include “colored” as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To ensure this site remains a valuable service to our community, no anonymous posting is allowed.

Names will be verified (online Morris County Tax Records) prior to appearing on the blog. If you are not man or woman enough to sign your real name to a posting then you should probably keep your opinion to yourself.